Pet Help

At San Marcos Regional Animal Shelter, we firmly believe that pets are happiest in a home. We hope to help keep owners and pets together in any way we can.  

As the only open-intake shelter for all of Hays County, we can certainly help you with your pet if you are a Hays County resident.  Our shelter tries very hard to find all of our pets loving homes, however, we cannot guarantee that your pet will not be at risk for euthanasia if surrendered to us.  For this reason,  we do ask that all owners considering surrendering their pet(s) take advantage of the information and programs listed below before surrendering to us. 

The Hays County Pet Resource P.A.S.S (Positive Alternatives to Shelter Surrender) program for is designed to help you rehome or keep your pet instead of surrendering them to the shelter. Contact PASS to discuss your needs and challenges to help you keep your pet instead of surrendering them to the shelter. 

If you adopted your pet from another shelter or rescue agency, please contact that shelter/rescue directly to arrange the animal’s return to them.

Pet Assistance and Resources

To request a surrender appointment, or to learn more about some of our programs that might be able to assist you with keeping your pet, please fill out the form below, or call our office at (512) 805-2655 so that our staff can learn about your situation to see how we can best assist you. 

For a list of resources for pet owners, visit:

To request assistance with surrendering or rehoming your pet, please fill out this form:

Owners are encouraged to post their pet(s) on the Hays County Urgent Pets Rehome Facebook group. The San Marcos Regional Animal Shelter will ONLY take owner surrenders from our service areas (Kyle, Buda, Hays County, and San Marcos).

Owners must present a valid, government-issued form of identification such as a driver’s license, military ID or passport with an address verifying proof of residence in our service area when surrendering their pet. Shelter staff will not accept a pet without the owner’s ID. Owners are also encouraged to bring any veterinary records available.