Utility Customer Services
Utility Customer Services drive-thrus and lobbies are open, M-F, 8 a.m. to 5 p.m.
New drive-thru drop box will replace existing drive-thru at 630 E Hopkins beginning December 4th, 2023. Utility Billing office for 630 E Hopkins will permanently be closed as of December 15th, 2023. Office lobby, drive-thru and night drop will remain open at 1040 HWY 123 to provide you with continued exceptional customer service.
The City of San Marcos bills utility accounts monthly based on four weekly cycles. Your account's billing cycle depends on the location of your service address. Specific information regarding your cycle is provided either by email or in person when a move in is processed. For more information please call 512-393-8383.
Utility Assistance Options
The City of San Marcos Utility Customer Service Division provides options to assist utility customers through challenging times. Please review the assistance options below for information on financial assistance, extended payment arrangements, late fees, and disconnections.
Community Action, Inc.
Residents needing financial assistance may visit the Community Action website to complete applications due to COVID-19 related income loss or for other regular utility financial assistance not related to the pandemic. Applications are available in both English and Spanish and may be completed online, emailed, or dropped off at their office at 215 S. Reimer Avenue, Ste 130, San Marcos.
Priority for financial assistance is given to the lowest percentages of income levels, highest energy burdens, vulnerable individuals 60 years and over, persons with disabilities, families with children five years of age or younger, and veterans. Recipients must also live in Hays, Caldwell, or Blanco Counties.
- Community Action, Inc.
- St. Vincent De Paul 512-353-7394
- Southside Community Center 512-392-6694
- Salvation Army 512-754-8541
- Hays County Veterans Services (for veterans only)
- Operation Homefront (for veterans only)
- Hays County Emergency Rental Assistance Program 512-878-6685
- Texas Homeowner Assistance Program 833-651-3874
The City’s Utility Billing Customer Service staff are available to assist San Marcos utility customers with extended payment arrangements by emailing Utility Billing, calling 512.393.8383, or visiting our billing counters in the Municipal Building, 630 E Hopkins or the San Marcos Electric Utility office, 1040 Hwy 123 from 8 a.m. to 5 pm., Monday through Friday.
Utility customers may also donate funds to assist other customers by utilizing the donation section online or by checking off the donation block of your payment coupon and listing the amount you wish to donate.
Any changes to the bill date or due date for any month will be shown on your bill statement. Please note that the payments received after the due date printed on your bill statement are accessed a late penalty of 10% of the current balance. Please contact Utility Customer Services if you have any questions 512-393-8333.
Disconnections are not processed on weekends or holidays.
Remote Payment Options:
Utility Web Options:
Automated Phone Line: 512 393-8333
eBOX – Pay directly from your bank/credit union
By Mail: 636 E. Hopkins San Marcos, TX 78666
HEB Business Centers:
- 641 E. Hopkins
- 11 a.m. - 5 p.m. Monday - Saturday
- 200 W. Hopkins
- 10 a.m. - 7 p.m., Monday - Friday
- 11 a.m. - 5 p.m., Saturday - Sunday
- Senior Penalty Exemptions (Customers over 60 years of age)
- Automated Recurring Payments (Credit/Debit Cards or Checking Account)
- Contact our staff by email
- Budget Billing: This program is a monthly set amount based on previous 12-month bill history
Stay Vigilant about Potential Fraud
Some customers may be the victim of phone or email scams, especially during the COVID-19 crisis. We urge you to remain vigilant and aware of the potential for people to try to get you to send them money or gift cards, or provide them with your personal information.
Common Sense Steps to Avoiding Scams
Your San Marcos Utility Billing Center will never call you asking for personal information. If you suspect the call is not legitimate, take note of the number then terminate the call immediately.
We do not call customers after normal business hours or on weekends.
If you receive a call demanding payment or telling you they will shut off your services, please terminate the call immediately.
Helpful Phone Numbers
- Connecting to City Utility Services: 512-393-8383
- Electric Power Outages and After Hour Emergency Service: 512-393-8313
- Electric Utility: 512-393-8300
- Recycle, Green Waste and Trash Pickup: 512-393-8407
- Transportation Department: 512-393-8036
- Utility Billing Automated Telephone System: 512-393-8333
- Utility Customer Service Office: 512-393-8383
- Water After Hour Emergency Service: 512-393-8010
- Water and Energy Conservation: 512-393-8310
- Water and Wastewater Utility: 512-393-8010