Towing Compliance

The Parking Enforcement division of the City Marshals department maintains records, conducts inspections and processes applications for the police wrecker rotation system. Our department is also responsible for investigating complaints against wrecker companies on rotation. 

Locating a Towed Vehicle

If you believe your vehicle has been towed:

  • Call the non-emergency line for the San Marcos Police Department at (512)753-2108.
  • Have the following information ready:
    • License plate number (if possible)
    • Location vehicle was towed from.
    • Time frame that vehicle might have been towed.
    • Description of the vehicle, including make, model and color.

Please note that vehicles may not be reported to the San Marcos Police Department immediately and may take up to 2 hours after towing to be reported. 

Tow companies must have signage posted at public entrances and exits to private parking lots. These signs contain the name and phone number of the tow company contracted by property owners to remove unauthorized vehicles. If your vehicle has not yet been reported to the police department contacting the company listed on the sign may assist you in locating your vehicle sooner. See an example of a Towing Enforced Sign.

Wrecker Complaints

If you feel you have been overcharged by a wrecker company or that a wrecker company has violated any other City Ordinance, a written complaint is required by the San Marcos City Code Section 90.293(a). You can submit a complaint here.

Upon receipt of your complaint, the Marshals Department will send a letter to the tow company notifying them of the complaint. The company must reply to you, in writing, within ten (10) business days of receipt of the complaint. They must also send the City Marshal a copy of their response. When a response is received, the City Marshal will determine if the wrecker company has committed a violation and what actions will be taken against the company. If a violation is determined to have occurred, the City Marshal may decide to do any combination of the following:

  • Issue a citation to the company.
  • Suspend the company form the police rotation system for a period not to exceed 90 days.
  • Suspend the company's non-consent towing registration for a period not to exceed 90 days.
  • Issue a warning.

You will be notified of the final outcome of the complaint within two business days of the Marshal's decision.

You should be aware that the Police and Marshals department have no authority to order a refund of any money. To secure a refund, you must file a request for a hearing with a Justice of the Peace court in Hays County within 14 days after you pay your tow bill.

If you have questions about the status of your complaint, you may contact the Parking Enforcement Unit at (512) 753-2140.